Friday, February 10, 2012

February 10, 2012

A few weeks ago I decided to keep my To Do list on my phone. My phone is usually in my purse, so it’s right at hand. There’s a convenient little program called Notes where I can jot things and delete them when I get them done. Completed, finished, over and done.

I started with my Christmas list: very satisfying. Except I kept forgetting the items I had already deleted.

I kept another To Do list: groceries, phone calls and errands. Delete, delete, delete. I lost track. All I could see was what still needed to be done. It became a little discouraging.

The Bible readings we are hearing these days in church are about miracles. Jesus stills the storm. He heals a paralytic, cleanses a leper, cures a woman’s fever. Yet around me I see people who are sick, others who have survived their home burning down, war in Syria and arguments about the pipeline to the west coast. There is still a lot that needs to be done. That can be discouraging.

But back to my To Do list. What I was missing was the record of what I had accomplished. What I couldn’t see was the vision of things completed. When I looked for the things God had already accomplished, it heartened me for the rest.

I see people living full lives despite addictions. I see enemies coming to know one another and learning courage for mutual respect. I see people living with care for the earth. Yes, I have a full To Do list. But I also want to pause and acknowledge what has already been done, and to give God thanks for that.

Blessings on you, as you see God’s accomplishments around you.



The Rev. Dr. Catherine Faith MacLean

No comments:

Post a Comment